Meditation as a Cure for Insomnia
Are you enduring restless, sleepless nights? Do you find yourself worrying ceaselessly about the future, family, relationships, work, health, or finances? Perhaps you've been waking up feeling tired and your ability to function is effectively diminished? That's insomnia! A persistent disorder that makes you feel tired and irritable most of the time and prevents you from a full night’s sleep. Affecting around one-third of the population worldwide, there is a multitude of factors that can cause insomnia: temperature fluctuations, hormones, stress, medication side effects, depression, and an unhealthy lifestyle. Short-term insomnia is quite common and it usually resolves itself. However, insomnia is considered to be chronic if it lingers beyond a few weeks. What if someone told you that there is a wonderful practice out there for clearing your mind when it is racing and needs to cool down?
Sleep is the sweet balm that soothes and restores us after a long day. It is a condition in which the nervous system is relatively inactive, the eyes closed, the postural muscles relaxed, and consciousness is practically suspended. By practicing meditation, you can have all of this back into your life, free of charge! You are probably asking yourself now, can meditation really help with insomnia? The answer is a high-powered yes! Regular meditation can dramatically improve sleep patterns and reduce nervous system arousal. Relieving the body from mental and emotional stress, this 5-minute insomnia treatment meditation will surely calm the overactive mind.
- Dress in comfortable clothing or pajamas.
- Dim the lights and if possible, enhance the space with meditation music.
- Take some time to prepare mentally and physically.
Guided Visualization Meditation for Insomnia Treatment
- Close your eyes. Take a slow deep breath. Hold it for a moment and then exhale slowly, imagining any tensions you have are leaving your body through your breath.
- Now breathe normally. You are in control. You may notice that some thoughts are still happening inside your mind, this is completely normal. These thoughts will quiet down once you progress deeper and deeper into the state of relaxation.
- Tense all the muscles in your body and hold that tension. Now relax and let your whole body be heavy. Notice how much more relaxed your body now feels.
- As you sink deeper and deeper into this calming state, allow your breathing to fall into a natural rhythm.
- Now visualize yourself standing in a corridor. White, clean, almost sterile. The floor is soft under your feet, like a silky carpet. You start walking slowly.
- As you walk further along the corridor, windows come into view. You stop and stare because beyond the windows is something marvelous. A star field with brilliant twinkling points of light, dreamy glow of nebula and star dust. Everything blazes into a mast concentration of stars.
- You realize you are on board a star ship. A sense of complete bliss fills you. You feel immensely blessed to see this. You stand entranced and just look in wonder at the view beyond the windows. Looking up, you feel as if you were standing in the middle of the cosmos.
- The ship is now moving and now you can see the huge and beautiful pinwheel of the galaxy outside of it. Scattered beyond it are other galaxies. Some like clouds, others clear enough to see whirls and spirals. The Earth is lost somewhere in the wheel of stars. Then you realize, you are a part of all of this.
- You sense that someone is approaching you, and with curiosity you turn and see a tall being of light, your guide. There is an immense feeling of love emitting from her and you realize that the protection you feel on this ship comes from her.
- Beyond, the universe glows in spangled light. Red, yellow, blazing white, and violet star-forming regions. You feel connected and enriched by the idea. As if the more you see, the more your mind grows to encompass it.
- After some time, your guide says it would be good for you to sleep. To allow all that you've seen settle into your mind. You are led you into a comfortable room with a large bed and a window view of the cosmos.
- The guide says they will guard your sleep. You feel enclosed by love and peace.
- Sleep begins to way upon your eyes as if you are resting in the heart of all creation.
- A gentle voice fills your mind, "You are loved, you are safe, and you are one of the wonders of the universe."
- The loving light of your guide is all around you, like the stars, as you drift off into a deep and restful sleep in the arms of the creation.
Let's Celebrate this Accomplishment!
Compliments on your progress and on your successful visualization meditation. You did really well! Practice this five-minute meditation as often as you can. Transform your negative emotions into positive ones. Take your attention away from worrying thoughts. Learn what a relaxed state feels like and how to clear your mind. Cleanse and nourish yourself from within and meditate whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally negative. Dive deep into yourself and enrich your life. Goodnight!
Check out the store